Sunday, October 26, 2008

Psychological Conditions

This week we learned about a few different eating disorders. I learned some interesting and scary things about them. For example, althouh they occur often in teenage girls, there are more and more adult women developing eating disorders. This puts an unwanted stress on the whole family. Also, no matter what kind of eating disorder someone may have, the first thing they are taught when they seek help, is how to eat properly. This is such an important health issue to be aware of, as potentially anybody could develop a disorder like anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or binge eating, if they are not careful. A lot of these disorders are caused by the stresses of life, and I haven't met anybody yet who is completely free of stress. Also, there is so much pressure from the world to have the perfect body, when in reality, the stuff on tv and in magazines are fake. I feel very sad for anyone who suffers from these kinds of psychological conditions, as it is not that easy to break those habits, or to retrain your mind to accept your body how it is. I don't personally know anybody with an eating condition, but I want to do everything I can to not only prevent myself from ever developing a disorder, but to help prevent my close friends and family from ever developing one. I think that these kinds of disorders happen so often in America, because of all the pressure that is placed on people, especially teenage girls, to obtain the perfect body or nobody will ever love them. I hope those who have any type of disorder will realize the dangers of it and will not be afraid to ask for help.

1 comment:

Sharon McLaughlin said...

Great thoughts...they are scary conditions that is for sure!